Monday, October 14, 2013

Horror Movies of Today

I often find myself questioning the fear factor of today's Horror movies.  You have the original movies that used stage blood and props and then you have the movies that use 3D computerized graphics.  The blood, monsters, ghosts, etc. looked as if they were walking on your living room carpet as opposed to looking like a crazy acid trip. 

The more realistic a Horror movie looks, the more frightening it is.  Way back when, it was all original.  The Shining, Pet Sematary, Carrie, The Christopher Lee versions of Count Dracula, Fright Night, Creepshow,  etc. all comprise of realistic scenes.  The big black blob in Creepshow 2 that devoured the four teenage swimmers, actually looked like it was making contact with the water.  The pig's blood in Carrie, was actually syrup, but looked like actual blood.  In all honesty, that is what I miss the most.  I miss how real Horror movies used to be.  The special effects take away from the reality as well as the psychology of it all in my opinion.  With the exceptions of Insidious 1 &2, and The Conjuring, which had less effects and more suspense and psychology, the rest of today's movies lack the fear factor for me when ghosts and ghouls pop out like a bad acid trip.  Then I feel, the movie revolves more around the acid trip and less around the psychology.  At least that's how I feel.  When I watch Salem's Lot, I actually tremble as I imagine a blood thirsty vampire outside my bedroom window.  I can imagine making bodily contact with it.  However, that would be impossible with something that is a mere figment of my imagination you know?

As a sincere Horror fan,  I somehow feel like the use of extensive computerized 3D animated special effects, makes Hollywood look desperate.  It is almost disgraceful for me to watch and yet I watch the movies just for the sake of watching them.  The remake of Evil Dead, I won't lie, I was dying to watch it.  However, I left the theatres feeling cheated.  The characters for one thing, lacked chemistry with each other.  The demons looked very trippy.  I asked myself, where has true Horror gone? 

That is why I started this blog.  It is my way of paying homage to the good 5 star Horror of the past.  There is all this hype about the 2013 version of Carrie that graces billboards and Social Media everywhere, but we all know that this time pig blood won't be utilized as a stage prop.  I will of course see it anyway.  But old school Horror will always hold a special place in my heart.  And this is what this site is about. 

Let's bring Old School Horror back!

No comments:

Post a Comment