Sunday, April 5, 2015

Scary Stories: A Documentary

Well it's about time someone brought this to the attention of true Horror lovers. Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark by Alvin Schwartz, permeated fears through the young adult generation. I remember at slumber parties I would bring the audio cassette for More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, and my friends and I would get under the covers practically shaking like a leaf...

Now I finally found someone who is on the very same page and wants to see the Horror stories we grew up loving and hearing on the screen. Cody Meirick, the founder of Scary Stories: A Documentary shares his insight on this amazing new project. 


"I started with having a strong interest and a background in children's literature. I wanted to make a documentary about the importance of reading at a young age. The idea of using Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as a subject for a documentary stems from both seeing the huge amount of fans the books have developed over the years as well as seeing how it encompasses some great topics that hit home exactly the types of things I want to explore and the messages I think people should hear. You have arguably the most banned children's books of the last 30 years, but also ones that got kids reading and interested in art for the first time. You have a book series that is both beloved and controversial. It makes for a great story for a documentary. And sure, I'm a fan myself. I grew up reading them. But on top of that, I just want to show that capturing children's interest in reading and art at an early age is important and often overlooked."

When asked what he hopes it will accomplish for fans who grew up reading these stories, he replies: 

"For the fans of the books, I hope they learn some new things and get a glimpse of behind-the-scenes details. I also hope that they take something new away. I think the best documentaries deliver what you expect but then add new dimensions... perhaps see the books in a different light... put them in context of a grand history of gothic children's literature and gothic illustrations. I actually think it honors the books by putting them next to iconic titles such as Grimms' Fairy Tales. The illustrations of these books have been controversial, but so have the illustrations from Grimms' Fairy Tales. That's just one of many interesting parallels that can be made between this title and others."



The media kit can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment