Saturday, January 24, 2015

Young Adult Horror


Who remembers these authors? Did you ever read their stories when you were younger? This book I had for many years as well as other books from R.L.Stine and Christopher Pike. As I was reading this book again last night over a glass of blood red wine, I once again started missing the fear I felt when I was younger every time I read stories from one of these authors. Some might think that in the PG-13 stage of life, nothing can be that frightening. But oh, only non-Horror fanatics would be that surprised. 

I guess these Young Adult Horror writers figured they couldn't sugarcoat fear. One way or another, we would be subjected to it. Authors such as Stine and Pike as well as others, only add the thrills. Let's face it, you love to be scared. You don't but you do, or else you wouldn't be reading the book unable to put it down. The best part is, actually envisioning the story in your mind as if though you are living it. When a hot studly boy moves into town, carrying a deadly secret from beyond the grave, or when two friends end up doing away with someone they don't like, then that is pure Horror. Is there any specific age range to experience this kind of frightful thrill? I don't think so. Although, I don't think a 9 year old would understand the concept of a psycho boyfriend wanting to murder his girlfriend. When a bunch of murders in your little social clique take place and the killer ends up being your closest friend, then that is Horror. Yes it's drama. Yes it's adolescent. But nonetheless, it is still scary and thrilling all the way. 


I'm much older now, but still get scared when I turn the pages of the book. But most of all, I appreciate these Young Adult Horror/Thriller writers for giving us a taste of real fear and keeping the younger generation entertained, as well as being one of my inspirations. 



No comments:

Post a Comment