Thursday, February 6, 2020

COUNT DRACULA (1970) - My First Horror Movie


Do you remember your first Horror Movie? How old were you? How did you feel seeing it for the first time? I remember my first Horror experience as though it was only yesterday. My first time watching a Horror movie, I was only 4 years old and now I am 39! The saying goes, you always remember your first. Well ain't that the truth?! 

Count Dracula (1970) directed by the late and great Jess Franco, was proudly my first. I remember just being 4, and going to the video store up a few blocks from my first apartment. That video store which obviously is no longer there, will always hold a special corner in my heart. Most children that age want to see kiddie stuff since they shit themselves in seconds after seeing a video cover of a dead man in a coffin with blood trickling down the corner of his mouth. But my mind functions differently. Every time we went to the video store, I stopped in the Horror aisle and the cover picture of the dead man lying in the coffin with blood trickling on the corner of his mouth kept catching my eye screaming "RENT ME"!. My mother was beyond hesitant, but I kept begging and begging non-stop and somehow she gave in. I did not stop at just one rental needless to say.

After the first rental, my deep and dark fascination with Count Dracula grew to uncanny proportions. I think I even scared my teachers with it. My parents were definitely not too keen on my new love interest. But since then, Horror became my blood, no pun intended. Of course following that, every trip to the video store became my parent's dreaded nightmare as I would go from renting this movie to Horror Cartoon movies such as Dracula and Frankenstein. I think back now and wonder, where did these movies come from and how did these Mom and Pop video stores have access to them? I don't remember ever finding these classics in the bigger video chains. Hence, my first video store became my second home. There is not one day that goes by where I don't remember it..


So what was your first Horror movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment